Last week we received more than 11,000 reports via email@example.com of fake messages that seem to come from Itsme®. Thanks to these reports we were able to block 355 URLs to fake web pages.
This phishing attack is not new, but today it is very active again. Various fake e-mails and text messages are circulating. The messages have different subject lines: ‘laatste herinnering’, ‘belangrijke update’, ‘bericht’, ‘service bericht’, ‘update uw Its me koppeling’, ‘heractiveer uw Itsme account’, etc. All messages are in Dutch.
Itsme® will never ask you in an e-mail, by SMS or by phone to reactivate your account and to re-enter your bank details.
Don't fall into the trap!
What to do?
- Do not click on a link in a suspicious message, do not open attachments and do not download applications if you are asked to.
- Do not forward the message to your contacts.
- Suspicious emails can be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Suspicious text messages can also be forwarded. Take a screenshot and send it to email@example.com. The content is then processed automatically.
Did you click on a suspicious link?
- If you have clicked on the link, do not complete the fields and terminate any interaction.
- NEVER give out personal codes.
- If you have entered a password that you also use elsewhere, change it immediately.
- If you have clicked on a link that opens a website where you have to submit bank details, first check that this is the real website of your bank. If you have the slightest doubt, do not make a payment.
Have you been scammed?
- If you have lost money or are being extorted, we recommend that you file a report with your local police straight away.
- Contact your bank and/or Cardstop on 070 344 344 if you have passed on bank details, money is disappearing from your bank account or if you have transferred money to a scammer. In this way, any fraudulent transactions can be blocked.
- If you want to report fraud, you can contact your bank via a special number: https://beschermjezelfonline.be/bank-contacteren-voor-hulp