It is important to report to the police if you are a victim of a scam or cybercrime. If you lose money, we also recommend filing a police report.
Don't forget to contact your bank and/or Card Stop on 078 170 170 (+32 78 170 170 from abroad) if you have passed on bank details. This way, any fraudulent transactions can be blocked.
Where to file a police report?
You can file a report with the local police in your hometown.
Here you will find an overview of the police stations.
What to bring to the police station?
It is important to bring as much information as possible with you to the police station. Below is a list of information you can gather in advance:
- Has any money been stolen from your bank account? Be sure to bring the bank statements that clearly show the fraud.
- Have you interacted with anyone on social media? Bring a screen shot of the suspect's profile and some screen shots of conversations that have taken place.
- Have you opened a fake website e.g. similar to that of your bank or other institution? Take a screen shot and bring it with you for filing your police report.
- Have you been scammed through an online sales site? Bring a screen shot of the ad or offer you responded to, and a screen shot of the scammer's profile.
- Did you receive an email from the scammer? Save and print the message.