In recent days, we have again received many reports of fake messages that seem to come from the Federal Police and Europol. You are supposedly being summoned in connection with sexual offences. The message comes across as very serious and coercive. The intention is to scare you and extort money. This type of scam is not new, but it is re-emerging now.
Have you received such a message yourself? Do not panic.
- Do not reply to the e-mail. Police never send such messages.
- Mark the message as Spam or unwanted.
- Block the sender.
- Forward the message to email@example.com
- Delete the message.
You received such a message and reacted to it. What to do?
- Contact your bank and/or Card Stop on 078 170 170 if you have transferred money to the fraudster. That way, any fraudulent transactions can be blocked.
- File a report with the local police in your place of residence.